Friday 13 December 2013

Holy Spirit


How did the coming of the Holy Spirit revolutionize the people of God? 

In the early church, and in my life


In the beginning there was God, and His Spirit hovered over the formless and empty earth (Gen 1:1).  As you see the trinity of God interact with each other, this world and us in the whole picture of the Word of God – you can go back to this opening line and sense the anticipation of the Holy Spirit in the creation of the world.  It did not work out the way they wished it to, but still you can see the desire of the God to come again into the intimate connection with humanity as it was intended from the beginning. 
As I read through the different scriptures about the Spirit I saw such joy, light and life in the character and affects of Him.  It reminded me of how the Holy Spirit was represented in the novel “The Shack” by William Young.  And whether or not all of the expressions of the Spirit is right in his book – I too, got that same feeling of joy, light and life that his character showed (OK not that the Spirit is an Asian girl). 

For the early church they moved from the time where there was a separation from God because of their sins, to where, through the blood of Jesus, God was able to live in them.  Before this in the Old Testament, you can see the Spirit filling individuals to help them in special skills (Gen, 41:38, Ex 31:3), or leaders – particularly to give them wisdom and boldness in battles (Num 11:17,25, 27:15-18, Jud 3:10, 6:34, 11:29, 14:6,19, 15:4, Is 30:1) and on those God was prophesying through (Num 24:1-3, 1 Sam 19:20,23, 2 Sam 23:2, 2 Chr 15:1, 20:14,25, 24:20, Is 48:16, 61:1). 

The Spirit was promised to the people, through the coming and presence of Jesus (Is 11:1-2, 32:15, 42:1, 44:3, Joel 2:28,29).  And this time the Spirit would not leave them (Isa 59:21).  Jesus baptised the people with the Holy Spirit and with fire (Matt 3:11, Mk 1:8, Luke 3:16, Jn 1:33).  And by surrendering their lives to Jesus, the word from Ezekiel came true, but this time in a new covenant:

And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart. And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations.”
Eze 36 :25-27

On the day of Pentecost, the Spirit came in a tangible way (Acts 2:12,3), just as he had when he blessed Jesus during his baptism (Matt 3:16, Mk 1:10, Lk 3:22, Jn 1:32).   He was a gift from the Father sent to fill his followers with power (Lk 24:49, Acts 1:4,5,8, 2:33,38).  He came as the advocate, comforter, encourager and counsellor (John 14:15-16).

For the Jews as they came to believe in Jesus, they thought that God was specifically sent to them. But instead God showed no favoritism and confronted any racism by falling on the Gentiles, in the same way he had fallen on them (Acts 10:44,47, 11:15, 15:8).  It must of seemed unfair to some of them who had been faithfully following the law all these generations, when suddenly the old sacrifices were not needed, only repentance and faith in God – and the Holy Spirit poured himself out on all!  But God was following up on His promises to include ALL in his redemption plan (Eph 1:13, 2:22).  So the Jews had to adjust to the idea that true believers were together in the Spirit (Phil 3:3).   For the Gentile’s there was the good news that they had been adopted into the family (Rom 8:15,16) – but it was not the family bound by the law because with the Spirit of God, came freedom (2 Cor 3:17).  But the Holy Spirit was willing and able to teach them and give them love for each other (Rom 15:30).  And it was through that love that other people could see evidence of who God was.

It cannot have been easy for the early church (it is not easy NOW!) to figure out who this God was; with the new freedom for the Jews, and coming from a multi-god pagan lifestyle for the Gentiles.  And then the church grew so quickly and they did not have a nicely bound bunch of scriptures like we do today.  But the Holy Spirit was the one to bring the truth to the believers (Side note: I think that is what we miss a lot today, we rely so much on the Word of God and other books, without always asking for the Spirit to teach it himself). He was the only one who could give birth to spiritual life and explain what is not explainable (Jn 3:6,8). 

When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. He will bring me glory by telling you whatever he receives from me. All that belongs to the Father is mine; this is why I said, ‘The Spirit will tell you whatever he receives from me.”        John 16:13-15

The early church could have the Spirit confirm within them, and within their consciences, what was true (Rom 9:1, 1 Thes 1:5, 1 John 2:20).  He would then also give the people the words, and the boldness, so they could speak the Spirits’ words to explain spiritual truths (Matt 10:20, Mk 12:36, 13:11, Lk 12:12, 1 Cor 2:13,14).

Ultimately they would be able to make changes in their lives because of God’s love, which the Holy Spirit filled their hearts with (Rom 2:29,5:5,8:4,13,26, Gal 5:17). Their lives would have been witnesses to others as they lived with the Holy Spirit producing fruit of: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Gal 5:22,23).  Their lives would have been in stark contrast to the legalistic ‘pure’ Jews, and the ‘live-for-pleasure’ Gentiles.  The Holy Spirit was the tangible guarantee that God will give what he has promised (2 Corin 1:22, 2 Cor 5:5, Eph 1:14).  It was through the Spirit’s work of signs and wonders that convinced people of God’s Kingdom (Rom 15:19, 1 John 4:13,5:6).

Today, the Holy Spirit has not changed at all, and many of the same issues in and out of the church continues.  So where I am at in my relationship with the Spirit?

I think I have come a very long way in recognising, loving and allowing the Spirit to work in me and through me.  I am totally convinced of his presence, even though I am still in awe and shocked at shows of his power.  If anything, it has been easy to become very suspicious and too familiar with the workings of the Holy Spirit.  I did a lot of my growing in an Assemblies of God church, which in New Zealand is very charismatic.  So we saw God move and were touched in sweeping waves of revival, such as the Toronto Blessing.  That is where I become wary as people would at times force their will and make out as if it was the Holy Spirit.  But he is so gentle and persistent in teaching me who he is. 

Now I love the gift of prophecy in particular (1 Corn 14).  It is such a privilege to be able to ask God how He wants to bless and encourage someone.  And I have learnt more clearly to recognise when the Holy Spirit is speaking to me, and have become more confident to offer those thoughts to people.
I have seen a lot of growth in listening to the guidance of the Spirit as well.  I know that he guides and speaks to us, both sending m and stopping me (Acts 10:19, 11:12, 13:2,9, 16:6,7, 19:21, 20:22,23).  And I really trust that he guides my life (Gal 5:16).

I would love to ask the Holy Spirit for of the other gifts, but it is he who decides what to give me (1 Corn 12:1-11).  I would also love to live more it the joy of the Lord, which come from the Spirit (1 The 1:6).  Even in hard times, to have that joy to encourage myself, but also others who are suffering. Another area that I have seen in my life, but I would want to grow in is trusting the Spirit to be my teacher and also to guard the truth that I already have been given (2 Tim 1:14).

”But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don’t need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true—it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ.”      1 John 2:27

Finally I ALWAYS want to grow in the fruit of the Spirit – in loving others and living well (Gal 5:22,23).

What an amazing thing that we have the Holy Spirit living within us, and how much more we can learn about him and work with him to bring the truth to this world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment